The admission season runs from September to January of a given academic year. Applicants typically apply in the fall prior to their year of enrollment. Students usually apply to Delbarton for acceptance into the seventh, eighth or ninth grades. A few openings may be available every year in grades ten and eleven. Delbarton does not accept students into grade twelve.
A student’s candidacy for admission will be considered only after he completes, in any given order, the following three steps:
- The Delbarton online application (by December 3rd)
- The Delbarton school interview (offered on campus on Saturday mornings from early September through early January)
- The Delbarton entrance examination (on campus on November 2nd and December 7th)
The Admissions Committee meets formally in mid-January to accept, waitpool, or decline students for grades seven, eight and nine. Action on students for grades ten and eleven may take place as late as June. Our deadlines for transfer applicants are more flexible, however, allowing us to consider such requests on a rolling basis.
GETTING STARTED—IT’S EASY…
Simply click the "Apply to Delbarton School" button in the upper right of this page to begin your application for admission.
Once you have completed the Online Application Part I, you will be asked for credit card information to pay the $55 application fee. The deadline for starting is December 3rd.
Once you have paid and submitted Online Application Part I, you will be registered for the entrance examination date you selected and a letter will be sent to you indicating the date and time of the required interview with the candidate and his parents.
The remaining parts of the application, including teacher recommendations and transcripts must be submitted by December 11th.
EXAMINATION, INTERVIEW & "A DAY AT DELBARTON"
During each of the two Saturday morning entrance examinations, we hold an information program for parents from 9:00-10:30 am in our Fine Arts Center to hear from members of our Delbarton community and to ask questions about our School.
On our Saturday morning interview days, students and parents are encouraged to take a campus tour conducted by a representative of our Student Ambassador program.
Finally, candidates may spend a day at Delbarton School attending classes with a representative of our student School Hosts program starting in October. Click here for dates and information on the visiting process. Because openings fill up quickly, we advise requests be made early in the fall.
8th, 10TH AND 11TH GRADE TRANSFER PROCESS
Delbarton School normally accepts a small number of students every year to 8th, 10th and 11th grades. The process is independent of the process for the 7th and 9th grades. (Delbarton does not accept into the 12th grade.) Finally, please note that financial aid is often limited for transfer applicants.
Information for those interested in applying to transfer into Delbarton School for the 8th, 10th or 11th grades is as follows:
1) Students apply during the academic year (September to June) prior to the September in which they wish to enroll.
2) The online application is available at www.delbarton.org/admissions by clicking on the “Apply Online” tab.
3) Students should complete Parts I and II of the online application and provide our office with paper copies of their high school transcripts and any high school standardized test scores.
Our office will request official transcripts and letters of recommendation only when we know there will be transfer openings AND that the applicant is determined to be a strong fit for an available opening.
4) Selected applicants at some point between February and June may then be invited to continue the application process by spending a day at Delbarton attending classes and interviewing with a member of our Admissions Committee.
5) All transfer applicants and their families are encouraged to attend our Open House or one of our two Entrance Exam programs in the fall where they will NOT take the exam but, instead, remain in the Fine Arts Center auditorium to listen to a 90-minute information session about Delbarton.
6) All transfer admission decisions are made by June.