Green Wave Athletics
After the cancellation of 2020 spring sports season, the Green Wave is eager to resume practices and competition. Following State and NJSIAA guidelines, players and coaches are required to follow new protocols to protect the health and safety of our community. Generally, competitions will be local and (as of August 4) there will be no state or county title competitions.
We ask for 100% cooperation from all athletes, coaches and families to give our young men the best opportunity to integrate athletics into the new school year. The following provides basic information on our sports program. Please check for important sports updates on our Delbarton Reopen Roadmap hub on Delbarton.org.
- Please do not congregate at sports fields during practices.
- Maintain social distancing in parking lots.
- Keep your cell phone handy to communicate with your son if a problem arises.
- While we await NJSIAA guidelines regarding attendance at sports events, please know that Delbarton intends to strictly enforce all mandates regarding crowd size, mask-wearing and social distancing in any group settings.
Mandatory Check-In: Each athlete must complete and submit the Delbarton Athletics COVID-19 Screening Questionnaire prior to every workout, and have his temperature taken by the coaching staff.
If a screening form includes a ‘yes’ response or athlete’s temperature reading is 100.4 degrees or above:
- Athlete is removed from the line, stands well away from teammates, and parent is contacted immediately to pick up athlete.
- Athlete’s condition is reported to Athletics Trainer Matt Benezewski and School Nurse Deirdre McAuliffe.
- A physician’s note must be submitted to Head Coach before athlete returns to a Delbarton athletics practice.
Fall Sports Schedule
PHASE 1: Summer Recess Period July 14 – July 26
- During practices, all athletes maintain 6’ social distance and wear masks before and during check-in procedures.
- Student athletes will be assigned to a 10-man ‘pod’ that he remains in throughout Phase 1.
PHASE 2: Summer Recess Period July 27 – August 28
- All protocols from Phase 1 continue with the ‘pods’ expanded to 25 athletes.
- Weight room use resumes with clearly posted and monitored mask and social distancing requirements.
VIRTUAL CONTACT PERIOD: August 29 – September 13
- Fall coaches contact with student athletes is limited to virtual interaction.
FALL SPORTS SEASON OPENING DAY - September 14
- Check-in protocols resume.
- October 1: First games for Soccer games and Cross Country meets.
- October 2 – October 3: First Football games.
Middle School Athletics
All middle school sports teams will follow high school athletics schedule.
For sports-related questions, contact Director of Athletics Dan Whalen at 973-538-3231 x3030 or DWhalen@delbarton.org