The admission season runs from September to January of a given academic year. Applicants typically apply, therefore, in the fall prior to their year of actual enrollment. Students usually apply to Delbarton for acceptance into seventh or ninth grades, though a few openings may be available every year to grades ten and eleven. Delbarton does not accept students into grades eight or twelve. A boy’s candidacy for admission will be considered only after he completes, in any given order, the following three steps:
- The Delbarton electronic application by November 30th (administered through the online service InfoSnap)
- The Delbarton school interview (offered at campus on Saturday mornings from September to early January)
- The Delbarton entrance examination (available at campus on October 21st, November 11th, and December 2nd)
The Admissions Committee meets formally in late January regarding decisions to accept, waitpool, or decline students for grades seven and nine. Action on students for grades ten and eleven may take place as late as June. Our deadlines for these transfer applicants are more flexible, however, allowing us to consider such requests on a rolling basis.
GETTING STARTED—IT’S EASY…
Simply click the Apply to Delbarton School button to the right of this page to begin your application for admission.
Once you have completed the Online Application Part I, you will be asked for credit card information to pay the $65 application fee. The deadline for applying is November 27th.
Once you have paid and submitted Online Application Part I, you will be registered for the entrance examination date you selected and a letter will be sent to you indicating the date and time of the required interview with the candidate and his parents.
Part II of the application, along with recommendations from teachers, must be submitted by December 12th to be considered for admission.
EXAMINATION, INTERVIEW & "A DAY AT DELBARTON"
During each of the three Saturday morning entrance examinations, we hold an information program for parents from 9:00-10:30 a.m. in our Fine Arts Center to hear from members of our Delbarton community and to ask questions about our School.
On our Saturday morning interview days, students and parents are encouraged to take a campus tour conducted by a representative of our student Tour Guides program.
Finally, candidates may spend a day at Delbarton School attending classes with a representative of our student School Hosts program starting in October. Click here for dates and information on the visiting process. Because openings fill up quickly, we advise requests be made early in the fall.
10TH AND 11TH GRADE TRANSFER PROCESS
Delbarton School normally accepts a small number of students every year as sophomore and juniors. The process of applying to the 10th and 11th grades, however, is independent of the process for the 7th and 9th grades. (Delbarton does not accept into the 8th or 12th grades.) Finally, please note that financial aid is extremely limited for all transfer applicants.
Information for those interested in applying to transfer into Delbarton School for the 10th or 11th grades is as follows:
1) Students are invited to apply during the academic year (September to June) prior to the September in which they wish to enroll.
2) The online application is available at www.delbarton.org/admissions by clicking on the “Apply Online” tab.
3) Students should complete Part I and II of the online application and provide our office with paper copies of their official high school transcripts and any high school standardized test scores. (Our office will request official transcripts and letters of recommendation only when we know there will be transfer openings AND that the applicant is determined to be a strong fit for the available opening.)
4) These applicants, at some point between February and June, will then be invited to continue the application process by spending a day at Delbarton attending classes and interviewing with a member of our Admissions Committee.
5) All transfer admission decisions are made by June at which time we announce that the admissions season has closed and we are full for the following academic year.
6) All transfer applicants and their families are encouraged to attend one of our three Entrance Exam programs in the fall where they will NOT take the exam but, instead, remain in the Fine Arts Center auditorium to listen to a 90-minute information session about Delbarton.